Friday, March 18, 2016

What? I can have french toast as a vegan?

Forgot to take a picture of the french toast but this is vegan too!

Ha ha ha.... Today my grand-daughter, who is not vegan by any stretch of the imagination woke up craving french toast. Alas, there were no eggs in her fridge. Grandma to the rescue, I guess. What did I do? I looked up a vegan french toast recipe. Because I know that anything you can do omnivore, you can do vegan. Gasp!

Who knew, right? Well, I did, of course. But having never tried vegan french toast, I wasn't sure how it would taste or how my grand-daughter would like it, being as how she's not vegan. As it turns out, vegan french toast, according to my grand-daughter, is actually better than “real” french toast. How cool is that?

Now, of course, before I continue making my point, I have to share the recipe. I tweaked it a little, so it's my recipe now. Here you go.

Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened coconut/almond milk. (I used Silk brand)
1/8 cup chia seeds
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Now, I blended this in my *Nutribullet RX to be sure all the seeds got chopped up finely enough. You could use a food processor or a blender, I guess. I'm just addicted to the *Nutribullet. LOL

After that, I just dipped the bread in it and made french toast in the usual way on my griddle.

Tip: It takes a bit longer to brown the vegan toast, but otherwise, there's really no difference.

Now, on with my point. I don't care what you're making, you can make it vegan. For instance, last night we scrambled some tofu, added some awesome spices like dill and dried chopped onions and made hash browns. Voila! Traditional breakfast for dinner. Sometimes we make *Smart bacon to go with it. We've even learned to make vegan mushroom gravy because Gary loves biscuits and gravy.

Granted, this type of thing isn't the healthiest fare. So we don't have it as often as we have raw green smoothies, green salads, veggie stir fry and other vegan favorites like bean and rice burritos or lentil soup. But it's nice to know that we don't have to give up any flavor or favorites in order to be cruelty free and the ultimate environmentalists.

Make the connection and you'll see that going vegan isn't about deprivation. It's a variety filled adventure in yummy eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment