Friday, July 8, 2016

Am I still vegan if I fall off the wagon?


You might have noticed that my description says “going vegan” now, instead of “avid vegan.” It happens to the best of us, you guys. I try not to judge others for caving either, because it has and is happening to me right now. Now, I prefer to change my status to “going vegan” when things like this happen. That's because it indicates that I'm not quite there yet. Still, I think it's your business how you describe yourself in this situation.

I also have strong feelings against making people who are trying to change feel bad about themselves. It's true that when one falls off the vegan wagon, they can't technically call themselves vegan. But is it really that big of a deal? I don't think so. What's in a word? Roses smell the same no matter what they're called, etc.

So, if someone I know is trying to go vegan but slipping up here and there, even for extended time periods, I'm OK with them calling themselves vegan, especially if it helps them focus on getting back on track. It's about visualization, you guys. However you see yourself and whatever you describe yourself as will eventually come to be. It's inevitable.

Who knows? Maybe by saying that I'm going vegan, I'm giving myself a subliminal excuse to never get there. Still, I just don't feel right calling myself vegan when I'm not there yet. If you are, however, off the vegan wagon, please feel free to call yourself whatever you want. Especially if it helps you focus on your goal. And please refrain from giving people who aren't there yet such a hard time.

We're all in this together. Let's build each other up instead of passing judgment, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment