Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Embracing my inner annoying vegan

Ya, it's like that. (Public domain photo)
I used to take offense when omnivores told me vegans were annoying. Now, I laugh it off and take it as a compliment. Well, maybe not a compliment, but certainly it means that someone is listening. If I wasn't getting through to them on some level, they wouldn't get so annoyed, would they? And if they weren't so hell bent on having their own way, despite the fact that the rest of us are being forced to go down the tubes with them, they wouldn't consider us annoying either, would they?

The fact that I am thought of as annoying doesn't really bother me so much any more. Why not? Well, it's because the more I learn about the impact a meat and dairy based diet is having on the entire planet, other animals notwithstanding, the less guilty I feel about annoying the crap out of people until they get the message, stop making lame excuses and change their “evil” ways.

Figuratively, of course. I would never personally and purposefully bombard or target any individual with my personal beliefs. That would be wrong and it would make them feel bad. I should know. Omnivores have been doing it to me for more than 30 years.

I am preaching a non-violent life. I am suggesting that we live in harmony. I am suggesting that we get as close to nature as possible in this day and age in order to get the earth back in balance. (Which, for humans (we are primates, after all) means eating our fruits and veggies, not other creatures.)

I'm not mean, mean spirited or violent towards those who disagree with me. I'm not asking anyone to kill someone in the name of God, tradition or any other nonsense.

I'm just asking people to be kind to each other and the other animals we share the planet with. Isn't that deplorable?

It's not, of course. And if asking people to make an effort to do the least harm possible to all offends anyone, I say, tough crap. I don't need rude, purposefully ignorant, violence loving, biased friends. I'm not better than anyone, but I do try to avoid those who feel their lives have nothing to do with anyone else's. We are all connected, folks. Being peaceful brings about peace for all, no matter how you look at it.

And so, I am embracing my inner annoying vegan because she knows what she's talking about and she cares. Not just about herself and her own needs and tastes, but about every single living thing in existence, including all those people who have labeled her “annoying.”

So there. LOL, chuckle, snort....

No comments:

Post a Comment