Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Why won't my vegan friend come to my BBQ?

Gee, I can't imagine why your vegan friend might not enjoy this. Public Domain photo
You'll be making special vegan food, just for them. You plan on cooking their food on a different grill. You're happy to make any other allowances to make them comfortable. Why won't your vegan friend come to your BBQ?

The simplest answer is, of course that your barbecue isn't vegan. Sure, you are making certain they have vegan food. You are willing to go out of your way to accommodate their needs. That's commendable. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the fact that the rest of the folks there will be celebrating in the most “un-veganny” manner possible.

Connect with the vegan view of your BBQ.

People will be sucking meat from the bones of other animals. They will be drooling over the bloody nastiness sizzling on the grill. They will be sharing recipes that further disrespect other beings. In short, a BBQ is probably the least appealing event on the planet for most vegans.

There will be no shortage of reminders that this is an omnivore gathering, despite the fact that there is a little vegan food to eat. An omnivorous BBQ is every vegan's nightmare. Asking a vegan to attend your BBQ is like asking a die hard Christian to come worship Satan with you.

That being said, I have attended the BBQ's of a few non-vegan friends in my day. However, it was more out of consideration for the friendship than because I thought I would have a great time there. And I have to add that I will not be doing it again unless forced by some social obligation that is simply unavoidable.

Why? Because it's just plain disgusting. It goes against everything I stand for. It nauseates me. It's uncomfortable. It's unnecessary. We can go to a movie or something, right? Do we have to sacrifice several animals for the sake of our friendship? Nope.

So please, don't do me the favor of inviting me to your omnivore BBQ out of some sense of social obligation or for any other reason. I don't want to come. I will not have a good time. I will be surrounded by reminders of a way of life that repulses me.

But do call me. I am still your friend. In fact, I'll do almost anything else with you that you like. Not only that, you are perfectly welcome to come to my Vegan BBQ where no one dies and everyone eats delicious food and has tons of fun.

Unless my non-violent lifestyle offends you in some way, of course. Because the last thing I want is to make you uncomfortable or push my lifestyle on you.

Enough said?


No comments:

Post a Comment