Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Vegans like me are not trying to change you

We just want to give you cookies and show you some stuff you might not know.
Oh sure we're not, right? What about all those vegan Facebook posts? What about this stupid blog post and all the other ones? What about the fact that I just can't shut up about going vegan? What's that all about if I'm not trying to change you?

Well of course I promote my views and defend them to the core. Don't you? Doesn't anyone who truly cares about anything? How about religious people, political parties and charities? Don't they try to gain your empathy by speaking out?

Then why, in the name of all that's good in the world is it so much worse when vegans do it? I have NO idea!

But, back to my point. Vegans aren't trying to change you. They're just trying to show you some facts that are not commonly known. Now, what you do with those facts is totally up to you. Just as it's up to me to remain atheist when Christians state their opinions. Or, to continue to be liberal minded when faced with opposing politics.

I don't want to change you. I want to open your eyes. I want you to see things that extend beyond what you've been told all your life. Certainly, I'd like you to understand that compassion is the answer to many of the world's current difficulties. But mostly, I want you to think for yourself, weigh the facts and make an informed, fact based decision. I actually want to see you break free from brain-washing, not brainwash you more.

And of course, I am of the opinion that going vegan is the biggest thing anyone can do to save the planet, the humans, the animals and even the starving kids in other countries, just as religious folks feel God is the answer. However, do I expect every one of my friends to miraculously go vegan overnight? No. Not at all.

But what I do expect is to be allowed to express my opinion and share my views just like anyone else, without being told I'm pushy or shoving my opinions down someone's throat or some other such nonsense.

I also expect people to get that when they are engaging in a not so nice session of vegan bashing and I speak up in defense of what I believe in, it's not about pushing my beliefs on them. It's about defending my right and the right of anyone else, vegan or not to freely express their opinions without being discriminated against. And that includes the people I am addressing.

So, you can continue talking crap about vegans if you wish. You don't have to go vegan either. Nobody said you did. Or, you can connect with the fact that by denying me or any other vegan (or anyone else) the right to speak out, protest or otherwise “annoy” you with their opinions, you are also making it easier for the rest of the world to deny you your own right to do the same.

Blind compliance never helped anyone find their voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment