Friday, July 17, 2020

Kind people don't belong here?


I learned long ago that many people are resistant to anyone who's different. I also learned, ironically, to ignore their ignorance. But the other day, someone I previously reached out to in sincere kindness when they were suffering a personal loss, told me something that will likely stick with me a long, long time.

She told me that maybe I don't belong in Colorado, more specifically, in the rural region where we own our home. Apparently, the reason she felt that I don't belong here was/is that I don't eat meat or believe in raising animals for other products or for entertainment, which is how a lot of people in this area make a living.

When I previously reached out to comfort this individual, I knew full well that she was a cattle rancher and that her entire family was engaged in this occupation as well as participating in rodeos for generations. That didn't matter. All I saw was the grieving mother of a friend.

Maybe that's why this particular comment stuck with me. It felt like a slap in the face. If I could put my difference of opinion aside to comfort her, why couldn't she simply accept me for who I am, as I did her?

Why, no matter where I go, do people insist on making me feel unwelcome, simply because I'm a kind hearted individual who believes in species equality? I'm not a threat to their way of life. They are the majority. I am the minority. And in that respect, I don't belong anywhere in this world, I suppose.

And I guess, some might see where I live, surrounded by animal ag, as the worst fit possible. I don't see it that way at all. Because I'm not just surrounded by animal ag. There are two vegan animal sanctuaries within a few miles of our little town. There's also a wild mustang rescue. There are people engaged in using their land for raising food crops as well. Wheat, other whole grains, corn, soy, herbs, vegetables and even sunflowers are grown here.

This place isn't exclusive to animal ag and rodeo cowboys. It belongs to all of us.

There are wide open spaces here, fresh air, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. There are herds of wild animals, roaming freely, as they should be. In many areas, the land and vegetation is left to nature's own devices, as it also should be.

There are very few people here. Which means less people to judge and categorize me and tell me I don't fit in. Less people insisting that their neighbors have perfectly manicured lawns, rather than trusting the natural balance. Less persecution from the teaming masses.

 Our little acre plot will gradually transition into an organic vegetable growers paradise surrounded by natural native plants, herbs and flowers. We'll be using methods that work with, not against mother nature. We'll be feeding the wildlife, not exploiting it. We'll be feeding ourselves cruelty free produce too. Locally, very locally. From our very own yard.

 I am a kind person. I mean and do no harm. I live and let live. I'm not the enemy. I'm your friend and neighbor. I'm not going anywhere. Neither are you. So, let's just be nice to each other, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment