Monday, July 13, 2020

Vegan reboot with my hubby


It's a beautiful day for new resolve as a vegan. It sure is nicer to be vegan when your spouse or significant other decides to join you, isn't it? Easier to avoid temptation with no cheese or other baddies in your fridge to tempt you for sure. That's just one aspect of my recent reboot benefits.

As a result of hubby's newbie vegan enthusiasm, I've been watching a ton of current health centered videos with him. This gives me new inspiration to not only be vegan, but be a healthier vegan. There's so much to learn due to recent in depth research studies. Even having old info reinforced while hubby is learning for the first time is so helpful. 

It's also way more fun to learn new recipes when someone is cooking and eating the same way you are. No modifications needed. We're having an absolute food adventure. We even invested in an instant pot so we have no “there's no time” excuses for cooking from scratch. Even dried beans will be quick now. Yay! Because I really do love them. I was raised on them but I don't always want to cook them all day. 

I also have no reason to be tempted by vegan junk food because we're simply not buying it. Figuratively or literally. I have finally, after years of gradually working toward being as fully vegan as possible, significantly reduced my sugar and oil intake.

I only eat vegan cheese now and very, very sparingly, at that. I will take one slice and crumble it on the occasional salad or spread a teaspoon on the occasional burrito. That's about it.

I have stopped drinking carbonated beverages. Yup, even Dr. Pepper. It's still tough to walk past that soda pop aisle but if I did buy it, I'd be encouraging someone else to cheat too. And that makes a difference in my ability to resist.

With several chronic illnesses, inflammation is a real threat to me. So it's important to stay away from anything that contributes to it. Doing this vegan reboot with hubby really helps me stay on track with better eating habits.

Lastly, but perhaps most important is the reminder that not all vegan food is good for me. Some vegan “substitutes” are no better health-wise than their non-vegan counterparts. Sure, they save animals and the planet but that doesn't mean they save me. I'm loving this vegan reboot.

I highly recommend finding a fellow vegan to share your life with. It makes such a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment